Thursday, August 13, 2009

Second Chances

**WARNING** Soapbox to come, and I ain't sugar coating it. Major opinions coming at ya!

I am thrilled that Michael Vick was signed to the Eagles today. Beyond thrilled, really. I know what he did was wrong, but in my opinion as long as abortion is legal...wait that's a whole other soapbox. Life vs Animal rights is a soapbox that is best saved for another much less sleep deprived day.

Back to Vick. I know several people in my life who deserve major second chances from past errors and there are judgemental folks out there preventing that from happening. I know they feel like it is the most frustrating thing in the world to know that you did something wrong and want to move on with your life, but you cannot be forgiven and it certainly can't be forgotten.

Do I value animal rights, yes...to a point (again an argument for another day) but should a person who's paid a price (whether you agree with that price or not) be deprived of a second chance? What if you were Michael Vick and you got yourself into that mess. Would you not want forgiveness and freedom to move forward with your life? How am I as a Christian supposed to stand by with steadfast hatred towards this man for his error. Am I not called to forgive? And should I begrudge him the opportunity to do his profession, which just happens to be a professional athlete, because I am holding on to my anger for his actions?

Our justice system is f&%^ed up. I completely believe that. You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time and boom, your life is over. You can get screwed over because some dick prosecutor hasn't gotten laid in a while and you just happen to be on the case he is trying after a particularly bad night. You can be "the person" a judge decides to make an example out of. You could be a newly 18 year old and have sex with your almost 17 year old girlfriend and bam - sexual offender. I'm not saying any of those things are fair, but they are real. They happen, it sucks. How this world is so unforgiving is beyond me. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be punished, but I also believe in second chances. Thankfully, I also believe that God is far more perfect than our justice system and true justice will come to each of us.

Michael Vick playing football has nothing to do with dog fighting. It's not like he was a sexual predator of teen girls and after he served his time he was allowed to work in a high school...that's irresponsible. Giving him a second chance to make a living and do what he loves is just right.

I'm sure everyone who has negative things to say about Vick are practically perfect in every way and have never needed a second chance to voice such strong opposing opinions. For those of us who aren't perfect and have needed second chances, big and small, we understand how important and appreciated they are.

Go ahead - try to sway me otherwise.

3 comments:

Marleah Blades said...

Really good points.

Kayla said...

Amen sister! We live it every day and I couldn't agree with you more!

paynomind said...

Perfect. Love it. Amen!