Friday, August 07, 2009

Our 1st Baby Shower & Family Reunion

On July 28th I drove up to West Virginia for a week with my side of the family. We got a great deal on a ticket to fly David up on Thursday night after work, so I drove solo. I got into Elkins just before dinner and enjoyed a relaxing evening with my dad & step mom. Wednesday my Uncle Tim (Dad's best friend) came into town and we went to see The Ugly Truth and out to dinner at the Mexican restaurant. After dinner I headed to Fairmont to spend the rest of the week with my mom's side of the family.

Thursday I had my semi-annual haircut with my friend Debbie and then I shopped and Mom & I started baking for the family reunion while my step dad took off for Pittsburgh to pick up David from the airport.

Friday my brother Mark and sister in law Kayla came into town and we met Dad, Linda & Tim for lunch at THE hot dog place...yum. After lunch we headed over to my Aunts to help get ready for the shower. She, my cousin Jenn & my mom were putting the shower together and we were on hand to help set up the venue, decorate and help with the food. At least as much as they would let us help. :)

**Note: For all you southerners reading this blog - don't be alarmed! In the north, the family puts on the shower and it's expected that some member of your family, aunt, mother, cousin, etc. is involved in the planning. I know it's the polar opposite of how ya'll do things down here, but I think it's special. :)

Around 5pm, we changed and headed back over to the church to put out all the food. Everyone started arriving around 6 and we had a delicious dinner before David & I got to dive into the gifts. To say our little one is spoiled already is an understatement. We especially loved all the handmade goodies that the grandmothers made. My mom made the baby beautiful bassinet bedding as well as a quilt (pictures to come later), my step mom crocheted blankets for the baby and my grandmother made a beautiful quilt as well - how special! It was so nice to have our families gather and celebrate this baby. It was such a wonderful evening and we had a great time. We are so grateful for all the work that Jenn, Aunt Reta & Mom put into the shower. :) Here are a few pictures from the festivities.

Dad's side of the family including my great grandmother Haddix (far side of the table, 2nd from left)My mom, grandmother and several of their girlfriendsMy cousin Liz, suckered into tracking the gifts by her near perfect penmanshipDavid modeling a handmade hooded towel from Aunt KaylaHaving fun opening gifts
On Saturday we got up bright and early to finish getting the food ready for our annual family reunion at Rock Lake. We've been getting together at my Aunt & Uncle's cabin on the lake since I was in high school. It's always nice to get to catch up with my extended family and it's even more fun now that the next generation is making an appearance. My cousin Jenn had Maggie a year ago and my 2nd cousin Dan had his baby Ashlyn 2 years ago. Jenn & I are both expecting, so next year there will be 4 little ones running around and it's just so much fun. There's so much to do at the lake, volleyball, boccie ball, swimming, boating, fishing, etc. so it's hard to capture everything (especially when you're one of the cooks) but here's a few pictures from the day.

JP being his usual silly self on the volleyball courtMaggie thrilled with her birthday bear from Aunt LindaAunt Reta made this cake for the baby - I loved it!David & I at the end of the day - why don't I think to get a picture before we get all hot and sweaty?
At the end of the day, David & I were exhausted but we stayed up and got everything packed and ready to go home. We headed out bright and early Sunday morning and after 11 hours finally made it safely home. It was a wonderful weekend with family. It's crazy to think the next time we are all together our baby will be here...

No comments: