Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mourning & Celebration

W. Millard Smouse
July 30, 1917 - September 16, 2009

My grandfather passed away a week ago after a long battle with a staph infection. He was 92 years old and such a wonderful man. I am so sad to say goodbye and will miss him terribly! I am even more upset that he won't get to meet this sweet little one in my belly until we are reunited in Heaven. I was grateful that my Doctor let me travel and David & I drove the nearly 11 hours (with stops of course) to WV to be with my family. I'm so glad that we were able to go and mourn together while celebrating his life.

As a Christian, death is bittersweet. On the one hand, we mourn for what we are missing with them here with us on earth, and on the other we rejoice and celebrate with them that they are home with Jesus. I am so glad that he has been released from the pain of this life and freed into his perfect body in Heaven and I know that I will see him again someday. That brings me comfort, but doesn't take away the sadness of missing him.

This weekend was hard and definitely emotionally trying. Especially with all the pregnancy hormones I have had such a hard time processing my grief. I still get caught off guard by what will remind me that he is no longer with us. I so appreciate the thoughts and prayers of all our family and friends...thank you for loving on us.

No comments: