Friday, September 11, 2009

Makeup Lesson

Wednesday night I headed out to Dunwoody for a focus group on DirecTV. I love my DirecTV and was happy to do it, plus it paid $100 for the 2 hour session - score!

The study started at 4 and it's about a 35 min drive. So I changed out of my PJs into shorts and a nice-ish top around 3, brushed and put up my hair, grabbed a book, a snack and my water bottle and I was off. As is normal for me, I left the house with no makeup, no fancy outfit on, no necklace or earrings...just my regular "plain jane" self.

I got to the study and after signing in, we talked about DirecTV for about 45 min when the facilitator left the room for a few minutes. I thought - awesome, we're getting out of here early! They told us when we arrived that the session was being recorded, video & audio, and that DirecTV execs were behind the mirror, but all that is pretty standard (at least for the focus groups I've participated in). When he returned, he said that the Execs liked what some of us had to say and they wanted to know if we'd be willing to film a brief testimonial on why we like DirecTV for their new national ad campaign. We all said sure, but I'm thinking to myself - seriously? Thankfully my mother-in-law stocked me up with a few key maternity tops that aren't my standard crew neck T-shirt, but I had no make up on and I couldn't even remember if I had brushed my teeth that morning! I just kept hearing Lacey saying to me "you need to start wearing makeup - you're somebody's mother now"...

I got into the studio, which was HOT because of all the lights (I'm a photographer, I'm usually on the other side of the lights & cameras) and I immediately start sweating. While I was totally comfortable doing the interview, in the back of my mind I just kept thinking...I can't believe I don't have on makeup. They loved some of the things I had to say (I have a marketing background I do know how to sell!) so there is a part of me genuinely scared that they will use this piece in their testimonial. Not to mention I said my first and last name, and lets be honest...it can be "heard" as something totally different. Anyway, I stopped by the restroom on my way out and wasn't completely horrified, but I did look like a hot, sweaty mess.

Lesson learned - I'm putting makeup on my Christmas list and will make more of an effort so I don't end up embarrassing my child by being "that mom". I'm still not giving up my yoga pants though. Some things never change. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red, you don't have to give up yoga pants.....you just can't look like you are in yoga class all the time:)

Beeki said...

Redonna, you live in the South now. Southern women take their makeup very seriously. It probably has to do with losing the Civil War and trying to "keep face."