Thursday, April 02, 2009

An Impromptu Trip

We got word last Tuesday night that my grandfather wasn't doing well. Wednesday night we found out that he had been admitted to the ICU with a slew of problems. We decided to work it out to leave Thursday night to head up there and visit but not before a few things got done, including new brakes and an oil change for the car. Before any of that though, we woke up Thursday morning to this in our yard:

Our church's youth group is doing a fund raiser where you can "Flock" someone by sending this flock of flamingos to their yard. It is always fun and I have to give props to the youth that did our yard as it had been raining for days and the grass was REALLY long and thick. ;)

Next up I had a wedding cake to make and thankfully was able to deliver it early so we could head out of town late Thursday night. I have never made a wedding cake in 1 day before and I hope to never have to do it again! It did turn out lovely though...
We decided to stop half way and stayed in Wytheville, VA at a Marriott property (for the great bed) and got some quality sleep before getting up early Friday and heading off for the other 4 hours of the trip through WV.

Friday we had a nice visit with my grandfather and we were so glad to have been able to get up there and see him. He isn't doing well, Saturday we found out he has a staph infection, he did have a heart attack, and he has pneumonia. Not good for a 91 year old man. Thankfully they have things "under control" and since we got home he has been admitted to a nursing facility where he'll spend the next 3 weeks or so while he's recovering from everything. He is less than thrilled to be there, but he's gotta do what he's gotta do to get better.

While we were in town we got to see my cousin's sweet baby, Maggie (who is just a doll and changing so much each time we see her) and the rest of my family. My dad & step mom even came up Saturday to have lunch with us and my brother & his wife who came in to town late Friday night. It was unexpected to get to see all that family, but really fun since we don't get to see them very often. That afternoon we took Maggie out for a few pictures in a dress that was Jennifer's when she was a little girl. She was recovering from being sick and the weather was dreary, but I think we got some good shots anyway.
This last one was just too funny...mmm, sweet potatoes. ;0)
We appreciate your prayers for my grandfather's recovery, for the physicians and my family as they take care of him and for my grandmother who is lonely without him at home with her. Thanks!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Sorry about your grandad. I hope he is doing better. Beautiful cake and baby. The pictures are great! Hope ya'll are well.