Thursday, February 19, 2009

American Idol

So 4 seasons ago, David & I started watching the rejects on American Idol and I got hooked on this guy - Constantine Maroulis. What was it that endeared me to him exactly? I'm not sure. He wasn't a fabulous singer, he was often pitchy, and he wasn't a flawless performer, but there was something about him that I liked.

Perhaps it was the way he made love to the camera with his eyes...Perhaps it was his rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody...
(check out the eyes - that's LOVE baby!)


Or perhaps it was the slight gap in his front teeth that reminded me of my beloved...I'm not sure. For whatever reason I was hooked on this cat and I actually voted for him. He was the first (and only I might add!) person I have voted for and when he got the boot, I was pissed.

Fast forward to today. Let me first say that I hate reality TV, well real reality TV anyway. I love the Ashton Kutcher spoofs and especially the WB's Superstar USA, but that's about it. In general I prefer sitcoms like How I met your Mother & Big Bang theory, or dramas like Grey's Anatomy & Ugly Betty.

All that said, it must be time to fess up - David called me on it so there's no more hiding from the truth. I guess after 4 years of "off and on viewing" and getting somewhat sucked in by the rejects, I have to admit it: "My name is Red, and I watch American Idol." It's embarrassing, I know. Dare I divulge that I, *gasp* DVR it? Yes, I know it's rigged... Yes, I know they cattle call the auditions and miss SO much great talent... Yes I know that they diversify/equal opportunity the winners... but I'll watch it as it unfolds.

So, now that that's out in the open, can I just say how THRILLED I was with the results last night? The top 3 were exactly who I would have chosen! I was afraid they'd put through Tatiana for the dramatic value (I guess they're saving her for the wild card show - milk it Fox!) but they didn't and I am pleasantly surprised. I love Michael, but Danny is by far my favorite. He hasn't done anything I haven't loved yet and the a cappella group song during Hollywood week - rocked! Yes, I know going into this that it's impossible for a white male to win 2 years in a row, but hopefully he'll make it to the top 4 or so. Who knows I may even vote!

So there. It's official. Judge me if you must.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can still see Constantine. He is going to be starring on Broadway in Rock of Ages. Check it out. www.rockofagesmusical.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your admission that you saw something in Constantine that so many of us fell in love with. I am proud to say I've been following Constantine's career for 4 wonderful years and he never fails to entertain and amaze me. Rock of Ages... Broadway Baby!!

Anonymous said...

Love reading blogs like this. I think for me it was that he was so genuine. Not to mention adorable. Perfect is underrated, IMO. Also ditto the two anonymous posters above me. I probably know them. lol We're a dedicated bunch.

Anonymous said...

Though Constantine finished sixth on his season of Idol, he is the first Idol to become eligible for a Tony since he is originating a new role leading role on Broadway in April-not bad for a 'reject.' If you get a chance to see him in one of his acoustic solo performances, you will be as wowed by his vocal skills and stage charisma as the theater critics have been.
I'd say you have good Idol instinct..

Maybe Tomorrow said...

well, i guess admitting it is the first step to recovery ;) i haven't really been watching but my sister-in-law did an imitation of Tatiana this weekend that was so hilarious I almost wet my pants. So I knew just who she was last night when I caught a few minutes of the show. That girl that sang the Taylor Swift song on Tuesday was AWFUL - was she not? Is Danny the guy with the dead wife? Matt calls him "Danny with the Dead wife". Nice, huh?

Anonymous said...

Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine! I'm not a member of his PR team or anything, I'm just a dedicated fan like you! LOL! Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine, Constantine!

Alison said...

Not an idol watcher, but I understand the addiction to some reality tv. I shamelessly watch Big Brother EVERY season and we DVR it too (you know this one is ridiculous. It comes on three times a week and I don't like to miss a single one).

Hope ya'll are enjoying the church retreat. Thanks for letting me know you would be out of town. We are still waiting on little man and are beginning to wonder if they will have to induce. We shall see, but we will keep you posted. :)

Kristi Ann said...

LOL....you are too funny...
me?
I like David Cook! *sigh*
what? did I say that out loud? slap me now.
:)
LOL..I am liking this season....so far!

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Troy and I am an Idol watcher, too. Yes, I DVR it. Yes, I LOVED the top 3. And yes, I will watch the entire season unfold and probably vote at least once. I, too, love 'Danny with the dead wife'. I hope he wins, he deserves it. After all, he doesn't want to be know as the guy whose wife died. He just wants to be known as the next American Idol (sigh!).