Friday, January 23, 2009

Our first "Grasp" Wedding

On January 9th, we headed out to Myrtle Beach for my friend (and former boss) Randy's daughters wedding. I was responsible for the wedding cake, grooms cake & the photography. I got the grooms cake done before we left and the wedding cake base iced and stacked, but was going to have to finish it on site. It's always "fun" to travel with a wedding cake (or any cake for that matter!) in the back of the car, but this was the farthest we'd ever taken a cake. I have to say it survived the 7 hour trip (dang Atlanta Friday afternoon traffic!) quite well. Randy had put us up at the Crown Reef Resort in South MB so we checked in and hit the hay - we knew Saturday was going to be a long day but I don't think either of us was prepared for HOW LONG it would really be.

Saturday started bright and early with us heading to McDonald's for a quick breakfast. We got to the reception hall at 9:20 where we met up with Randy's sister-in-law who had transformed this RV showroom into a beautiful reception hall. I was VERY impressed! I spent the next 3 1/2 hours getting the cake done and I was pleased with how it turned out.

We headed to Fazoli's for a quick lunch (we hadn't been to a Fazoli's since we left Virginia Beach!) before heading back to the hotel to get all the photography equipment and heading to the church. We scouted the location, figured out how we'd pose folks, got the light levels set and took exterior shots (the wedding was at 5:30, so we figured we better get them while it was still good light outside) before heading back to the hotel at 4pm. We got ready in record time, thank the Lord we had showered that morning! Randy came to pick me up not 15 minutes later and we headed to Megan's house. David headed to the church to get the guys pictures, but since Megan was getting ready at the church there was no time for pictures with the girls before the wedding.
I did get some good shots of Megan getting her dress on, David got some good shots of the guys and the wedding ceremony shots came out better than I thought they would since it was so dark and the church didn't allow flash photography.

Afterwards we hustled through the shot list, and in less than an hour we were off to the reception. Everyone, including me, seemed to be impressed with how in control of the situation I was. I think I faked it with the best of them. =) Maybe I'll be a professional yet! Thankfully David got some great artsy shots of the venue which I love and is why we make a good team. =)

The reception was a blur. David & I didn't stop to eat, drink or even pee for the entire 5 hours. It was crazy, but worth it. We got alot of great shots and had fun too. there were so many pictures to choose from, but here are a few of our favorites.

The reception hall, my cakes in the forefront
The first dance
Father/Daughter Dance
Randy with his other 2 daughters, Mollie & Mallory
Randy's wife, Burke...the beautiful Mother of the Bride
Megan is a singer/dancer and Mike is a Clogger (Check him out with his group, All That, in this video from the finale of America's Got Talent...Mike's the one in the white shirt doing all the talking at the beginning) so they decided to do the Time of my Life dance from Dirty Dancing, it was awesome! Here is the lift:
Last dance, in the bubbles
Sunday on the way home we stopped at the outlets and I got a MB shot glass to top off the trip. It was a good weekend, long but good. We learned alot about what we do and don't want to do for future weddings and most importantly - I'll never do the cake and photography again. That was almost too much, but for my Randy it was worth it. =)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!! My first thought was, "You did the cake AND photography? That's insane and sounds just like you." So I was pleased to read at the end that you are mortal after all and won't be doing that combo. again. My favorite part was that you stopped at the outlets. You are amazing! :) I love the pictures and the cake was lovely. You are such a talented woman! Go former SmG co-leader!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! And,of course,am impressed (and was wondering if you were crazy) that you did both cake and photography.

And...on a side note, I love Fazoli's. I was sad when they closed most of the ones in Georgia.

Love ya!
Kari