Friday, January 16, 2009

Merry Christmas #3 & New Years

As we do every year, we head down to Alabama to spend some time with David's side of the family after our WV trip. Our week long stay with the entire family is getting more and more, shall we say - Loud? It's always so fun to be with our ever growing family and all the kiddos bring alot of excitement into the mix.

I think more because of Carol than the kids, but I can't be sure, we always open gifts on the first night we're all together. It's so much fun now that the kids are getting older and actually enjoy things to give them gifts. Deborah & I (and our families) went in together to get all of Carol's kids gifts this year, so we could expand our budget. We decided to get Bennett a camera, but after many trials and tribulations at Walmart, we decided to give him Deborah's old camera to start out with. If it lasts and he's still excited about photography we'll get him a better one another year. needless to say, he was thrilled with his new camera and took almost 100 pictures over the week - that's alot for a 6 year old! He even got a good picture of me taking a family picture - I'll see if I can get it from Carol and post it later.

We got Wilson these stomp rockets which were also a hit (I don't know how, but I didn't get any pictures of them in action), but the best part was Wilson's face when he only saw 6 packages with his name on them...
For Anne's first Christmas, she got lots of fun toys, but was FAR more interested in the tissue and wrapping paper...
We got Mae a complete art set so she could paint.
Let me leave a note here - Carol asked for the paints, we were just being dutiful Aunts. =0)
Erin was given lots of books, which she loved, but I think she was more excited about helping Mama distribute the gifts. She was a bit delirious since she'd been up since 4am MT. She made it through the gift exchange, quickly had dinner and went to bed shortly after. She slept well and was a new little one Tuesday morning.

Delivering a gift for Aunt Red
I just love this picture of Erin, she's so precious!!
Tuesday Mama made our big Christmas dinner and David's Uncle & his family, including his cousin Jonathan's girlfriend Erin, joined us. It was a great meal, as usual, and we enjoyed lots of family time together.
Anne & I cuddling

Wednesday was New Years Eve. We had a pretty lazy morning and that afternoon we went to get Ben, one of David's best friends from high school, who spent the rest of the day with us. After another yummy dinner, we set off fireworks as we do every year. The kids had alot of fun with the sparklers, after they got the hang of it, and we enjoyed a beautiful light show. Here's a few pictures:

Mae with her first sparkler
Photo fun with sparklers
More photo fun with a red sparkler
Deborah set off a few Roman candles - even though it expressly says "Do not hold in hand"
Wilson & Ben enjoying the show
Blayne & Carol cuddling with the girls - it was cold!
The grand finale!
Thursday Deborah, Blayne, David & I headed to the Eastern Shore to shop a bit. Blayne got some money for clothes and he scored a few good deals. It was fun to get to hang out with them sans kiddos - Erin wasn't feeling well and Carol & Mama agreed to keep her so we could go out. We ate lunch at Wings...funny thing, Blayne & David wanted wings which is why we went, but Deborah & I enjoyed our food more. =0)

Friday the whole family headed towards Mobile for lunch at Felix's Fish Camp which has the best seafood, or so I'm told. I get grilled chicken (since I don't eat seafood) and of course hush puppies. Don't judge me...I am aware that hush puppies go with seafood but I like them so I eat them, so there. After lunch David & I headed into Mobile to meet up with our good friends Judd, Shell & their daughter Leia who live in Mississippi.

Fun Fact: Judd & Shell were the Best Man & Maid of Honor at our wedding.

Anyway, it was SO good to see them. We hadn't been able to connect with them since they visited us in June of 07, so it was so nice to reconnect. Leia is such a ham, she kept me laughing several times. It was far to short of a visit...

Other than getting sick with the "I feel bad but nothings really wrong" bug that Deborah & Erin had, it was a fantastic trip.  =)

No comments: