Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lacey's 30th Birthday

This post is LONG overdue, but I had downloaded the pictures on our desktop and then through our travels and my being sick, then the wedding last weekend, I'm just now getting around to it.

So, Dec 10th I headed to Clarksville to spend a few days with Lace and help her get everything ready for her big soiree. It was the first time I was glad I was unemployed because I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise. I got in early Wednesday afternoon and after some bonding time, her community group came over for their Christmas party.  Afterwards, Ryan wrestled and tickled the kids into exhaustion before putting them to bed. He is such a great dad, I love watching him with the kids, so I had to share these pictures.
This one cracks me up because you can see Ryan bracing for Jake's pummeling.
After the kids were tucked in, Lacey & I proceeded to "free" all the kids toys from their packaging and wrapped gifts while watching Top Chef. Note - Lacey is a Bravo kid and I had to cautiously avoid getting addicted to a new network. ;)

Thursday morning Lacey came down with what ended up being a 24 hour bug. I took over, but I wasn't the best Auntie Red I could have been since I plugged those kids down in front of the TV and let it run for most of the day. Hey, you do what you gotta do.  Lacey had called Ryan, but he didn't know when he would be able to get away and there was still so much to do.  Don't judge me.  =)  After I got them fed, they went down for their naps (Lacey too!), and I headed out to the stores to get everything Lacey needed for the party.  I got home just in time to get the kids up and back in front of the TV before Ryan got home.

Friday we spend the day baking and cooking all kinds of yummy goodness for the party. Ryan was supposed to jump that morning (he's in the Army, it's a requirement for him to jump out of an airplane on a regular basis) and should have been able to get off around lunch to help out too. Well he ended up finishing a combat training class and getting so sick they almost had to take him to the ER (which Lacey found out on a phone call at 5:45 - Party starts at 7). I told her to hop in the shower while I finished cleaning and kept the kids (once again!) glued to the TV. Ryan got in around 6:40 with the help of a guy in his unit and a friend came over to give him an IV...he was feeling a little better by around 10 that night. There were several other dramas I could share, but these were the major ones. Suffice it to say, it was such a rough couple of days for both of them. I was SO glad I was there - that is, after all, what friends are for!

Anyway - the party. After all the drama, it went off without a hitch. Everyone came wearing hideous Christmas sweaters (did I mention it was an Ugly Christmas Sweater, Yankee Swap party?!?) and had a great time. Here's a few pictures of all the fun...

The birthday girl "pulling it off"
Everyone enjoying the festivities and yummy food
The cake I made in all it's hideous-ness
The gifts before the swap began
A thong! It wouldn't be a good old fashioned Yankee Swap without a racy gift!
The thong makes the rounds!
I made this shirt for my gift, isn't it awesome?
In my opinion the best dressed couple - love those sweaters!

No comments: