Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Us Recently...

Grace is 6 weeks old today - I can't believe it! I just want to put a break down and slow time. She is already changing and growing...it's amazing.

On Saturday Dad & Linda went home after a wonderful 2 1/2 week visit. They spoiled us rotten and we already miss them. They brought their cat Casper and he didn't want to leave - it took them 20 minutes to get him in the car. He had such a great time with his cousins. :) Later that morning, we headed to Auburn to meet up with all the Bilbos for lunch and introduce Grace to all her cousins, Aunts & Uncles. Carol is the only one who had met her prior to Saturday so Deb took lots of turns snuggling our precious girl. It was so great to get to see everyone and I got some snuggles in with my not so little Grady who is just adorable too. We even drove around Auburn's campus (which I had never done) and saw Toomer's Corner all TP'd from their bowl win on Friday. It was a great day!

Grace did so great in the car and for that we couldn't be more grateful. We are big travellers and with family so far away, car rides are going to be inevitable. I'm glad that she quickly falls asleep and stays asleep while we drive. Plus, I got to practice my "pump and give her a bottle in the car" routine and that went well too. On 9+ hour car rides (like to both sets of my parents' houses) that will be an invaluable resource. That way we'll only have to stop to burp and change her making the stops less frequent and shorter...hopefully. :)

Last night we had fun playing with the webcams. Grace got to see her Grandma & Grandad (my mom & Mike) online and they got to revel in her cuteness. I am glad that all her grandparents have webcams so they can see her more often and make the distance a little more manageable.

Grace & I survived our first day at home alone yesterday now that all the company that has been with us since her birth have all gone home. Our pediatrician wanted us to wait until 8 weeks to start scheduling her, which is going to be difficult for me, but I'll do my best. Because she is so small they don't want her crying all the time as I try to adapt her to a schedule and loosing weight. So...I try not to think about the fact that the habits we are forming now by not letting her cry very often are going to be even harder to break in 2 weeks. The good news is that last night I put her in her swing and left the light on (she LOVES looking at lights!) and she soothed herself to sleep. Whew! We have done it 3 times since then and she is doing great. Hopefully this small milestone will help make the transitions in 2 weeks a little easier.

I promise pictures next time, I just haven't had a chance to load them off the camera and compress them. Soon though. :)

2 comments:

Alison said...

Glad everything went well and that ya'll had such a great deal of help. Six weeks with family around - I am so jealous. That is great!

On the scheduling I will put your mind at ease. I tried with Charlotte from the get go and it didn't work for me. She slept so much that it was almost impossible to get an eat, wake, sleep pattern in place in the first couple of months and then we had all the weight issues too.

With Douglass Charles I started at 8-9 weeks and did it pretty hard core. After a few really rough days things started to fall into place. It will all come together and the two weeks of waiting will probably just help both of you be ready. Best wishes as you start to establish a routine. :)

Red said...

Thanks Alison - I appreciate the advice! Hopefully it will go smoothly. I am encouraged that she is self soothing in the swing, she's done it after every feeding today, so hopefully that's a step in the right direction.